Trade and Investment Officer (32 hours per week)
For our team of experts working on foreign trade and investments, Both ENDS is looking for a part time Trade and Investment Officer.
Together with environmental justice groups from the Global South, Both ENDS works towards a sustainable, fair and inclusive world, amongst others by challenging current trade and investment rules, regulations and relations in our global economy. We analyse and provide information about policy and investments that have a direct impact on people and their livelihood, engage in joint advocacy within regional and global networks and we stimulate dialogue between stakeholders. In addition, we are actively participating in collectives that develop and support sustainable initiatives for our current financial and trade system.
Your work as a Trade and Investment Officer will focus on
- Collaborating with civil society organisations and activists in The Netherlands, the Global South and internationally to achieve systemic change in national and global trade and investment policies, through joint strategy development, knowledge exchange and coordinated advocacy and campaigns;
- Assuring that the impacts of policy trade and investment-related policy decisions by the European Union and in The Netherlands on the Global South are taken into consideration by relevant political actors;
- Assuring that the voices of scientists, civil society and trade activists from the Global South are considered in policy processes in the EU and the Netherlands;
- Analysing relevant regional or thematic developments and carrying out lobby and advocacy activities in the field of trade and investment (agreements and treaties), especially related to social, environmental and human rights impacts;
- Active engagement in acquisition and fundraising, amongst others by co-developing policy proposals for the European Union, the Dutch government and relevant multilateral organisations.
- Capacity to bring ideas and people together, effectively identify opportunities and obstacles and to realise the objectives of our trade and investment work;
- Highly developed people skills, confident, yet willing to continue developing professional skills;
- A general understanding of and interest in trade and investments, and its impacts on human rights, climate and women's rights. Preferably at least one year working experience on these themes;
- Experience of working with civil society organisations and understanding of the diverse socio-political contexts in which we operate is an advantage;
- Ability to think and work on an academic level;
- Capacity to express and present yourself and your work professionally and convincingly both verbally and in writing, in Dutch and English. A third language is highly valued;
- Team-player who is searching for cooperation and cross-fertilisation between disciplines, yet independent and resolute;
- Planning and organisational skills, including project management;
- Willingness to actively participate in and contribute to a culture of mutual feedback within a horizontal organisation.
- An activist at heart;
- Doing research on trade and investment topics;
- Social-, environmental-, and human rights issues;
- Traveling ( e.g. 4 to 6 times a year);
- Learning, innovation and development.
Both ENDS offers
- An internationally oriented, dynamic and informal working environment;
- A pleasant and professional team of 40 colleagues who value working together;
- Personal supervision;
- A contract for 12 months, with prospects on extension;
- Good secondary terms of employment, including a premium-free pension;
- A workplace in the heart of Amsterdam;
- A salary from €2,521.00 to €2,949.00
How to apply
Please submit your application as soon as possible and no later than 26 May 2019. Send your motivation letter explaining why you see yourself fulfilling this position at Both ENDS, together with your CV directed to Anneroos Goudsmit at email@example.com. In accordance with the Algemene Verordening Gegevensbescherming (AVG, the Dutch GDPR) your personal details will be deleted after the application procedure has been completed.
Send your letter and CV in one, single PDF document. Other formats will not be reviewed. Since this is a popular vacancy, it is not possible to reply to all applicants. If you don't receive an invitation for an interview by 1 June 2019 this automatically means you are not selected.
The application procedure compromises three rounds. The first round of interviews will take place in the week of 3 June 2019 and will take 15-20 minutes. The second round includes a writing task and giving a presentation. Before the 3rd and last round, we will ask for references, which will be contacted before the 3rd conversation takes place.
More information about Both ENDS may be found on www.bothends.org. We value different backgrounds and cultures in our organisation. Both ENDS works together with the Expertise Center for Diversity (ECHO).